Chicken Lombardy is a delicious Italian-American dish known for its rich flavors and hearty ingredients. Named after the Lombardy region in Italy, this recipe combines tender chicken breasts, earthy mushrooms, and a savory Marsala wine sauce to create a meal that’s perfect for a special occasion or a comforting weeknight dinner. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps to prepare Chicken Lombardy in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Ingredients: For this Chicken Lombardy recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)
1. Prepare the Chicken:
- Start by seasoning the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Dredge each chicken breast in flour, shaking off any excess.
2. Sauté the Chicken:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken breasts to the skillet and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside on a plate.
3. Sauté the Mushrooms:
- In the same skillet, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté them until they are browned and tender, which should take about 5-7 minutes.
4. Make the Sauce:
- Pour in the Marsala wine and chicken broth into the skillet with the mushrooms.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 10 minutes, or until it reduces slightly and thickens.
- Season the sauce with additional salt and pepper to taste.
5. Assemble the Dish:
- Return the cooked chicken breasts to the skillet, nestling them into the sauce.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over each chicken breast, followed by grated Parmesan cheese.
6. Finish Cooking:
- Cover the skillet and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, and the chicken is heated through.
7. Garnish and Serve:
- Garnish your Chicken Lombardy with chopped fresh parsley for a burst of color and added flavor.
- Serve your Chicken Lombardy hot, preferably over cooked pasta or with a side of mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.
Chicken Lombardy is a delectable dish that combines the flavors of Italy with American comfort food. With its tender chicken, savory mushroom sauce, and melted cheese topping, it’s sure to become a family favorite. So, gather your ingredients and give this recipe a try to savor the taste of Italy right in your own home. Buon appetito!