When it comes to comfort food, few dishes can rival the warm and creamy goodness of loaded baked potato soup. This hearty, satisfying soup is a crowd-pleaser, perfect for chilly days or whenever you’re craving a comforting bowl of goodness. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps to create a homemade loaded baked potato soup that will have your taste buds dancing with joy.
Ingredients: To make this delicious loaded baked potato soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (for garnish)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Another recipe you might want to try!
- Prep the Potatoes: Start by peeling and dicing the russet potatoes into bite-sized pieces. This will ensure they cook evenly and become tender in the soup.
- Cook the Bacon: In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, cook the chopped bacon over medium heat until it becomes crispy. Remove the bacon from the pot and place it on a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess grease. Leave about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pot.
- Sauté Onions and Garlic: In the same pot with the bacon grease, add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté them until the onions become translucent and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add Potatoes and Broth: Add the diced potatoes to the pot and pour in the chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer. Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Blend the Soup: Using an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup until it reaches your desired level of creaminess. You can leave some chunks for texture or make it completely smooth.
- Add Milk and Cream: Pour in the whole milk and heavy cream, stirring to combine. Let the soup simmer for an additional 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Add Cheese and Sour Cream: Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream until they are fully melted and incorporated into the soup, creating a rich, creamy texture.
- Season to Taste: Season the loaded baked potato soup with salt and pepper to taste. Remember that the bacon and cheese are salty, so be cautious with the salt.
- Serve and Garnish: Ladle the hot soup into bowls, then top each serving with crispy bacon bits and chopped green onions. You can also sprinkle on additional shredded cheese if you’d like.
There you have it—a creamy and delicious loaded baked potato soup that’s perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re serving it as a comforting family dinner or impressing guests at a gathering, this recipe is sure to please. So, grab your soup pot and get ready to enjoy the rich flavors of this classic favorite.