There’s something truly special about family recipes that have been passed down through generations. They carry with them the warmth and love of countless family gatherings. One such cherished recipe is Grandma’s Ground Beef Casserole. This timeless classic is a hearty and comforting dish that has delighted taste buds for years. In this article, we’ll take you through the steps to recreate this delicious dish and share a bit of its history.
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) of diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) of condensed tomato soup
- 1 cup of frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Cooking oil for sautéing
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, sauté until they become fragrant and translucent.
- Add the lean ground beef to the skillet and cook it until it’s browned and crumbled. Drain any excess fat.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes (with their juice), condensed tomato soup, frozen corn, and all the spices – salt, black pepper, dried oregano, dried basil, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Add the cooked and drained elbow macaroni to the skillet and mix well, ensuring everything is evenly combined.
- Transfer the beef and macaroni mixture to the greased baking dish. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese evenly over the top.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the casserole is bubbling and the cheese is golden and melted.
- Once done, take the casserole out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Grandma’s Ground Beef Casserole is a delightful dish that captures the essence of home-cooked comfort food. With its rich flavors and cheesy goodness, it’s sure to become a family favorite for generations to come. This recipe not only fills your stomach but also warms your heart with memories of Grandma’s kitchen. Enjoy this classic comfort food and share it with your loved ones as a reminder of the timeless joy of homemade meals.