Chicken pot pie is a classic comfort food that warms the soul with its creamy filling and flaky crust. This timeless dish combines tender chicken, colorful vegetables, and a savory sauce that’s encased in a golden, buttery pastry shell. Whether you’re looking to impress your family, celebrate a special occasion, or simply indulge in a delicious meal, this homemade chicken pot pie recipe is a perfect choice. Join us as we walk you through the steps to create this comforting masterpiece in your own kitchen.
For the Crust:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
Another recipe you might want to try!
Preparing the Crust:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to incorporate the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough starts to come together.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions, shape them into discs, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preparing the Filling:
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic, peas, and corn. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes to eliminate the raw flour taste.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and whole milk while stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Add the diced chicken and dried thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Allow the mixture to simmer and thicken for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Assembling and Baking:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out one of the chilled pastry discs into a circle large enough to line a 9-inch (23 cm) pie dish.
- Pour the chicken and vegetable filling into the pastry-lined dish.
- Roll out the second pastry disc to create the pie’s top crust. Place it over the filling and seal the edges.
- Cut a few small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Optional: Brush the top crust with a beaten egg for a golden finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Let the chicken pot pie cool for a few minutes before serving.
Homemade chicken pot pie is a delightful meal that brings warmth and nostalgia to any table. With a buttery, flaky crust and a rich, creamy filling, it’s a true comfort food classic. This recipe allows you to recreate this beloved dish in your own kitchen, ensuring a satisfying meal that your family and friends will cherish. Serve it up on a chilly evening or for a special occasion, and watch as smiles light up the room with each delicious bite. Enjoy!