When it comes to country music legends, Johnny Cash stands tall among the giants. But did you know that the Man in Black had a sweet tooth, and his mother’s pineapple pie recipe was one of his favorites? In this article, we’ll take a step back in time to uncover the secrets of this delightful dessert that graced the Cash family’s table. Get ready to whip up a slice of history with Johnny Cash’s Mother’s Pineapple Pie!
Ingredients: To make Johnny Cash’s Mother’s Pineapple Pie, you’ll need the following ingredients:
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of vegetable shortening
- 4-5 tablespoons of ice-cold water
For the Filling:
- 1 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
Another recipe you might want to try!
Step 1: Prepare the Pie Crust
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and salt.
- Cut in the vegetable shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice-cold water, one tablespoon at a time, mixing until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a disk.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Step 2: Roll Out the Crust
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one of the dough disks to fit a 9-inch pie pan.
- Place the rolled-out crust into the pie pan, pressing it against the bottom and sides.
Step 3: Prepare the Filling
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained crushed pineapple, granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, beaten eggs, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix the filling until it’s well combined.
Step 4: Assemble and Bake
- Pour the pineapple filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Roll out the second dough disk and place it over the filling. Trim any excess dough and crimp the edges to seal the pie.
- Make a few small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (175°C) and continue baking for an additional 30-35 minutes, or until the pie is golden brown and the filling is set.
- Let the pie cool completely before serving.
Johnny Cash’s Mother’s Pineapple Pie is not only a delightful dessert but also a slice of musical history. It’s a testament to the comforting and delicious recipes that have been passed down through generations. So, the next time you want to enjoy a sweet treat with a touch of country music charm, whip up this pie and savor the flavors that brought joy to the Cash family table. Enjoy your journey into the culinary world of Johnny Cash!