When the chilly winds of autumn and winter start blowing, there’s nothing quite like a steaming bowl of loaded baked potato soup to warm your soul. This comforting, creamy delight is not only a crowd-pleaser but also surprisingly easy to make. In this article, we’ll share a fantastic loaded baked potato soup recipe that will have your taste buds singing.
Why Loaded Baked Potato Soup?
Loaded baked potato soup is the perfect embodiment of comfort food. It combines the rich flavors of baked potatoes with the creaminess of a soup, topped with irresistible garnishes like bacon, cheese, and green onions. Whether you’re serving it as a weeknight dinner or a crowd-pleasing party appetizer, this soup never disappoints.
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s gather our culinary arsenal:
- 4 large russet potatoes
- Whole milk
- Chicken broth
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Green onions
- Salt and pepper
- Start by peeling and dicing your russet potatoes into half-inch cubes. The russet variety’s starchy goodness works best for achieving that perfect creamy texture.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add the diced potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes, allowing them to absorb the buttery goodness.
- Stir in flour, creating a roux that will help thicken the soup. Continue to stir for an additional 2 minutes, ensuring it doesn’t burn.
- Gradually introduce the milk and chicken broth, maintaining a steady stir until the mixture thickens and simmers. This should take around 10 minutes, by which time your kitchen will be filled with the enticing aroma of baked potatoes.
- Now, it’s time to create that dreamy, creamy consistency. Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to blend the soup until it’s mostly smooth, leaving a few chunks for that rustic feel.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until it melts seamlessly into the mixture, contributing to the soup’s velvety texture.
- Remove the pot from heat and add a dollop of sour cream, crumbled bacon, and a generous helping of chopped green onions. Season with salt and pepper to your liking, remembering that the bacon and cheese already introduce savory notes.
Ladle the loaded baked potato soup into bowls and, for an extra touch of elegance, garnish with additional sour cream, cheddar cheese, and chives if desired. Your masterpiece is now ready to be enjoyed!
There you have it—a loaded baked potato soup that’s bound to become a household favorite. With its rich flavors and customizable toppings, this soup is a delightful canvas for your culinary creativity. Serve it up on a chilly evening or at your next gathering, and watch the smiles it brings. It’s comfort food heaven in a bowl!
Remember, the key to a great loaded baked potato soup is quality ingredients and a little bit of love. So, gather your kitchen tools and start cooking. Your taste buds will thank you!