Old-fashioned stuffed cabbage is a classic comfort food that has stood the test of time. This hearty and flavorful dish is a true crowd-pleaser, perfect for family gatherings or a cozy dinner at home. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps of preparing this timeless recipe that’s sure to become a favorite in your household.
To make old-fashioned stuffed cabbage, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 ½ pounds of ground beef (you can also use a combination of beef and pork)
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (28 ounces) of tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
Follow these simple steps to create your own delicious old-fashioned stuffed cabbage:
- Prepare the Cabbage Leaves:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Carefully remove the core from the cabbage head.
- Immerse the whole cabbage head in the boiling water for about 3-5 minutes until the outer leaves become pliable.
- Remove the cabbage head from the water and carefully peel off the softened leaves. Set them aside to cool.
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, cooked rice, chopped onion, minced garlic, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly until all ingredients are well combined.
- Stuff the Cabbage Leaves:
- Take each cabbage leaf and place a small amount of the filling mixture in the center.
- Roll the leaf, tucking in the sides as you go, to form a neat bundle. Repeat until all leaves are stuffed.
- Prepare the Sauce:
- In a separate bowl, mix the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, lemon juice, and paprika. This will be your flavorful sauce.
- Layer and Cook:
- In a large ovenproof dish, spread a small amount of the sauce on the bottom.
- Arrange the stuffed cabbage rolls in the dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for approximately 1 to 1.5 hours, or until the cabbage rolls are tender and the filling is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool slightly before serving.
- Spoon some of the sauce over the rolls when serving for extra flavor.
Old-fashioned stuffed cabbage is a comforting and satisfying dish that brings back cherished memories of homemade meals. With its flavorful filling and rich tomato sauce, it’s a timeless classic that continues to be a beloved favorite. Whether you’re cooking for your family or hosting a special dinner, this recipe is sure to impress. Enjoy the warmth and nostalgia of this delicious old-world dish!